Friday, January 05, 2007

Hope???

I saw my Ortho Dr last week (the one that originally diagnosed my pelvic stress fracture). It was actually a follow up from the shoulder surgery (shoulder is doing well). As part of all of this he ordered a bone scan to make sure the rest of my bones are healthy - THEY ARE - YIPPEE - Something to be grateful for! But as part of that it showed the stress fracture not yet healed! Well - he didn't know it wasn't healed (I've been seeing a different Dr for the hip)! He was beside himself - very frustrated and very concerned! He suggested I see one of his partners - Hip Dr (cute huh?) Well - I saw the partner today and although he was clear that I have a pelvic issue not a hip issue (there is a difference) but I could tell - he really wanted to help me! Anyway - he suggested having a bone growth stimulator protein (OP-1) injected into the site to help the bone heal. He wasn't sure he wanted to do the procedure (it is surgical and not quite his specialty) but he said he would e-mail an Ortho Oncologist (no - I don't have cancer (another big thing to be grateful for) but the procedure is done using a technique that is used to treat bone cancer so he's hoping this guy will do it for me! He told me he would call me as soon as he hears back from this guy and if worse came to worse he would do the procedure with a General Surgeon accompanying him. In the meantime, he gave me some literature about the product, gave me a bio on the Dr he wants to refer me to and told me a little about the procedure. If I have it done and if it works (which it should) I would be healed in 6 - 12 weeks!! I'm trying not to get to psyched - but I can't help it! I could be healed and ready to run by March!!

Yesterday was the 1 year anniversary of my diagnosis - It's been a long frustrating year! The only good thing about it being 1 year is that my insurance should pay for this procedure because my fracture is now officially considered a Non-Union Fracture - one year is the time line for that distinction.

So - for now I do my exercises with renewed vigor - there maybe an end in site!

Good Night!

1 Comments:

Blogger Lora said...

We need to do a TV documentary on you!!!

What exercises are you doing?? When can you RUN again???????

6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home