Friday, November 03, 2006

More than a month

I knew it had been a while but Wow more than a month - things have been crazy!! Obviously!!

Where to begin? I had a follow up MRI on my shoudler on 10/7. They found that my AVN had gotten worse - not better! I was in danger of having the humeral head collapse - I neede surgery and it really couuldn't wait - I had 2 drs tell me the same thing on the same day - so I set a date for surgery 10/24 - then the mad scramble to get ready to be out of commission for 4-6 weeks! I needed to get work (at work) caught up an ahead if possible. And of course stuff around the house needed to be prepared s well. Then we had a string of company my parents, my in-laws and the brats (my husbands nieces) our furnace died on a fairly cold day when my parents were here from FL - Great! I called my brother who installs HVAC for a living - just for some advice (he lives 300 miles away) - he said I can be there on Wednesday - AMAZING!!! He packed up his tools, bought a new furnace - called my sister - she came with him! They had the whole thing replaced in about 4 hours - my brother and my husband - my sister and I talked!! Family sure can be wonderful somtimes!! I'm still amazed that he did that for us!! Saved us a bundle of $$ and I feel really confident that we got what we need rather than what some guy wanted to sell us! All that in the 2 weeks I had to prepare for surgery!

Since the 24th I've been recoperating!! On to the hip...

I'm supposed to be walking from 1 - 5 miles/day depending on how I feel. So far I haven't because of the shoulder. But I will soon!! When I see Dr Nicola again 12/4 - I need to take my running stuff so he can tweak my gait and then I expect to be free FINALLY!!!! My hip has been feeling really good - of course I haven't stressed it at all But I'll take Good anyway I can get it!

The shoulder is coming along nicely. It's started to feel much better in the last day or so - I can still tell I had surgery but it's better. From the shoulder perspective I have no lower body restrictions except that the dr doesn't want me to drive yet (probably another couple of weeks) so I can't really get to the gym. I just took my first unassisted shower this morning - it sure felt good - not that I didn't enjoy Ty's help but it was nice to wash the way I wanted to wash! So - now that I can shower by myself I can go out and walk around home - get sweaty and then clean all by myself!

I start PT today - I told the people at the therapy place that I should be invited to their holiday party!

I talked to my internist last night as well as the Ortho guy on Wednesday - they still want me to see a Hematologist to be sure I don't have some clotting problem because of the stress fracture and the AVN - they want to be sure. The Ortho guy already spoke with the Hematologist and the internist said she would call him today. I asked them both to do that because the Hematologist wasn't sure why I needed to be seen. It's so much fun! I hope to get all this figured out before I go back to work!! Did I tell you - I'm off until 11/30 unless my employer starts to complain - gotta love my Ortho guy!! He gave me some cool pictures of my shoulder - the human body is truly amazing!

A part of me was glad to have so much going on - that way I didn't get to think about missing the marathon (too much) - It was pretty disappointing! Next year WILL BE BETTER!!! And I will appreciate it so much more than I did!!!

I'm doing this all one handed so please excuse the typos!!

I'll be back much more regularly now!! Tomorrow - I hope to have pictures of me in my shoulder rehad chair thing with my new laptop desk - which is making this blog possible!!

Have a good day!

Gotta Run !!

3 Comments:

Blogger Black Knight said...

Good luck for your shoulder. I think you need a long vacation to forget the troubles. Italy would be great: warm and beautiful (maybe I say that because I am italian....)

12:49 AM  
Blogger Lora said...

Whew---what a ride you've been on! Over a year of struggling with this, you deserve a medal (Ty too!)

But it's almost over!! Yahoo!!! We'll all be out there running! The next Chicago Marathon will be the "old group"! Watch out!!

11:45 AM  
Blogger Todd said...

Glad to finally hear from you. I was missing you too much. miss you oh so much. Soon you will be back. Tell Lisa I say hi. Some ways I am actaully Jealous because you get to see Lisa but I do hope you have no reason to see her again.

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home